‘Tis the season of holiday parties and whether it be an office Christmas party or a get-together with friends, this is the time of year to get extra glam. The holidays are one of the few times a year that it is absolutely permissible to go a bit overboard with the sparkly eye shadow or the new lip colour you’ve been itching to try. Here are some of our tips to make sure you are prêt-a-partay this season!
- Keep the focus on one feature
While it’s tempting to combine the dark lip, smokey eyes, and the latest strobing craze all in one, try to highlight one feature to avoid looking clownish. When you go heavy on the eye, add a muted flush to the lips and cheeks. When you do a dark lip, go with a simple, neutral toned shadow on the lids. And if you want to highlight your luminous complexion, keep the rest of your makeup soft and angelic as well.
2. Make your lips kiss proof, and drink proof
Whether it be a moment under the mistletoe, or a sip of a martini, lipstick smudges are never a glamorous look. Keep your lip colour on lock down with a liquid stain lipstick. With a lip gloss applicator, these products go on like a dream and dry to a matte finish. Best of all, they last impeccably on the lips for hours and don’t transfer!
- Get festive with false lashes
If you’ve never tried false eyelashes, you’re in for a treat! Lashes add the drama and can be a surprisingly easy way to amp up any eye look. If you’re new to fake eyelashes or want an undetectable look, try individual cluster lashes. Here are some tips on how to apply:
- If you buy a strip of lashes, trim them to fit your eye shape by removing sections from the outside of the lash.
- Use tweezers to grip the lashes and to place on lash line
- Once you’ve applied the eyelash glue to the strip of lashes, or the individuals, let the glue dry for approximately 30 seconds before placing it on the lash line. This will ensure it does not slip off before it dries.
- Don’t close the eye you’re applying the lashes onto, instead, tilt your head back and place them as close to the lash line as possible. This will ensure that you’re lashes are placed perfectly!
4. Wear perfume
Studies have shown that smelling a good scent can actually boost your mood! Not to mention scent is largely associated with memory cues, so make sure it is a night you never forget and add a spray or two of your favourite perfume! Pro Tip: never rub in your perfume, it disturbs the notes and will make it disappear faster.